Sunday, November 22, 2015

An Ode to rap

Dear Marshall Mathers,

You're one of my idols. I remember hearing you for the first time. It was at my friends house when we were in 6th grade. I became obsessed with 'till I collapse. My parents wouldn't let me buy it on iTunes so I had to sneak on the computer to YouTube to hear it. 

I know it's crazy that I feel this way but I feel like I can relate to you. Which I understand how insane that sounds considering you grew up in a trailer park surrounded by tons of diversity in race and a single mom vs me who grew up wealthy with both my parents in a predominantly white community. 

This is the one key thing that I saw myself in you: we are both underdogs. Also feeling misunderstood and thinking people know you when they have no freaking clue who you really are.

I never got beat up for my skin or had abusive parents. My underdog story comes from being alone as a kid. I grew up as a chubby little boy without friends. I made my first few when I was in 5th grade. Even then they were always so much cooler than me and smarter that I still felt less than everyone. When we hit 7th grade I was still a large boy plus I had facial hair. To add that I had braces. Not one girl took a look at me. I just the D.U.F.F. to all of them. I was made fun of for being bigger and weird. They never took another look at me. I was awful at sports and it tore me up every day. 

When I was in 8th grade you released your recovery album and it changed my life. 

It's the greatest rap album ever.

25 to life was the greatest song I had ever heard. After hearing that I downloaded the whole album and fell in love with every song. This album had a song that spoke to everything I needed. After this I dive deeper into every album you have ever had.

I had found nirvana.

The beauty of your work is you have a song for everything. Every mood. No matter the issue or problem of the day you always had something to help fix or enhance the situation. 

Thank you for being there for when I fight with my parents, at the gym looking for motivation, when I want to rap something with my friends, when I have a bad day and want to punch through a wall, when I need a good slam song for a pretty girl, when my heart broke and when I lose self confidence.

People think because of all your earlier stuff that you are an idiot and all of your lyrics have references to anti-gay sayings, sexual references, overall vulgar language and inspires violence. They don't see how smart you are or how clever your wording is. You also have so much power in your words and such great lessons.

Lessons I have learned from it:

You have to lose yourself in your passion if you want to make it big

You can't truly know someone's struggles until you walk a thousand miles in their shoes

Love is evil

White trash people have lots parties

Drugs really screw you up

You can always turn into something great even when your situation may suck

Cut people out of your life that put you second 

Forgive everyone no matter what

Even fat people deserve love

Don't be mean to people with differences

Police are idiots 

You're beautiful no matter what people say

Breakups are painful no matter how long it's been

Nostalgia is a beautiful thing

That even music boxes you can make scary 

From hitting rock bottom you can get your best inspiration 

Even when you're gone you can leave an impression on people 

That even superman has a dirty side 

Wind is very cold when it's blowing hard

All kims are evil

Always remember what your name is- it's a mess if you don't

I'm forever thankful for everything you have done for me. I know I'll never meet you in my life but you have helped me in my life like you will never have a clue. Thank you and please keep writing.

Steven O. Jordan 




3 comments:

  1. 25 to life is my favorite song from that album too, but space bound is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You watch the movie the notebook and the movie DUFF!!?! You sounds like a really cool guy!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a good "tribute" to Eminem. one of my favorites as well. (not a big fan of his new stuff, though).

    ReplyDelete